John Bapst Memorial High School
Address: 100 Broadway, Bangor, ME 04401, USA
- Ranked #1 in Maine in 2012, 2014, and 2016 by the Washington Post, John Bapst this year welcomes students from 35 Maine towns and from six foreign countries. We believe in traditional well-roundedness, but the John Bapst experience also includes opportunities for students to explore something they're passionate about in a way that's deep and meaningful. We all agree that English and math are major subjects; at John Bapst, art and music are major subjects as well. We celebrate school citizenship and community service; we also encourage students to double up in the sciences, to combine AP Computer Science with cyber-defense and robotics, to prep for the real world through courses in economics, world cultures, and languages.
- John Bapst has been known as an exceptional academic high school for years. John Bapst students took 510 AP (Advanced Placement) exams in May 2016 in 18 subject areas. Graduates go on to Ivy League colleges, top public and private research universities, and great liberal arts colleges. Our graduates currently study at Yale, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Boston College, Wellesley, Tufts, Northeastern, Johns Hopkins, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Penn, Williams, Virginia Tech, Emory, Georgia Tech, Purdue, Michigan State, Washington, Wisconsin, several campuses in the University of California system, and many others. Our students have also gone on to art and music schools like the Art Institute of Chicago and Berklee College of Music. Here in our state, dozens of John Bapst scholars have entered the honors programs at the University of Maine; followed the liberal arts to Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin; or specialized at Husson University, Maine Maritime and other schools.
- 44 faculty
- 2 experienced personal & college counselors
- 80% faculty have advanced degrees
- 100% College Preparatory - 18 AP courses
- Immersion English Program for international students
- Average 5 National Merit and Commended Scholars a year
- 17.8 student average in core academic classes
- Student/teacher ratio: 14/1
- Course offerings: 106
- Advanced Placement classes: 18
- Honors classes: 16
- TOEFL, TOEFL Jr., IELTS, or SSAT for non-English speaking students
- Tests should be no more than one year old. TOEFL requirement: 65 or above (grades 9/10) or 80 or above (grades 11/12).
Tuition & Fees
- Boarding or Homestay Program (2017-18) $43,250 / year