St. Johnsbury Academy
Address: 1000 Main St., St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
- The Academy enrolls over 930 students in grades 9-12 and post-graduate.
- The student body is equally divided between boys and girls.
- There are approximately 680 day students and 260 boarding students.
- Day students come from 50 Vermont and New Hampshire communities.
- Boarding students come from 15 states and 30 countries.
- The student teacher ratio is 8:1, the average class size is 12.
- There are over 120 full- and part-time faculty. 77% hold advanced (Master’s and Ph.D.) degrees.
- The Academy offers more than 200 courses at four levels of difficulty.
- 25 Advanced Placement
- 9 Technical programs
- More than 40 visual and performing arts offerings
- Six Engineering courses
- Five foreign languages: Chinese, French, Japanese, Latin, Spanish
- All students participate in 1:1 iPad program.
- Maker’s Lab available for student use.
- There are 48 interscholastic teams with most teams participating in the Vermont Division 1 Metro-conference.
- 20 Intramural sports offerings
- The Academy has an extensive and inclusive community service program.
- School traditions include dress code, daily non-denominational Chapel (morning assembly).
- There are more than 30 organized clubs and activities.
- The campus comprises approximately 43 acres with 30 buildings, five playing fields, and all-weather track.
- Indoor athletics facilities include the Alumni Gymnasium, Field House, and Farmer Natatorium.
- St. Johnsbury Academy is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and is approved by the state of Vermont as an independent school.
- The Academy has approximately 13,500 alumni.
- The Academy Campus is in a beautiful small-town setting.
- The population of St. Johnsbury is approximately 6,200.
- St. Johnsbury was named #1 Small Town for Adventure by National Geographic magazine.
Rankings & Accreditation
- Ranked in the top 20 in terms of number of AP courses offered for schools with 400+ students: http://www.boardingschoolreview.com/most_ap_courses_offered/sort/1#!400students.
- Accredited by NEASC (New England Association of Schools and Colleges)
- Total: 930 (265 boarding)
- International: 200
- Vietnamese: 4
- Day/Boarding: TOEFL Junior/SSAT are helpful but not required
- ESL: Yes, taught on four levels
Tuition & Fees
- Tuition & Fees: $50,500/year includes tuition, room, board, sports, activities, books, use of school iPad, airport transfers
- Others (Health Insurance): $180/month
- Tuition refund program: $2,020/year
- ESL instruction, if needed is $4,750/year
- Student refundable drawing account: $1,000/year (refunded if unused)
- Recommended spending money: approximately $30/week
Scholarships & Financial Aid